Thursday, August 9, 2007

I've always wondered

I've always wondered how companies got the information they need to provide relative offers to the people on their Mailing Lists. I've had a few theories about this, but was never quite sure. Did they just take names from a phone book and send out to everyone, in hopes of finding some sales that way? Did someone hack into a list of customers from another company? So many different ideas popped into my head, but none compared to the truth.

It turns out that there are companies out there that specialize in providing mailing lists to other companies. One of these companies, Martin Worldwide, really seems to go beyond the call of duty. They use several years' statistics to figure out the needs of potential customers so that companies can know who has the best chance of buying the products.

Next time I receive so-called "junk mail", I'll think about the effort involved in putting me on the mailing list.

No comments:

Post a Comment