Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What To Give?

One of my friends recently lost her mother-in-law. Unlike the traditional mother-in-law/daughter-in-law battles you hear so much about, their relationship was actually more like mother/daughter. They were extremely close, and the lose was very hard on my friend.

At times like this, it seemed appropriate to give her a gift to let her know I was thinking of her. I really didn't want to go with the traditional flowers or food. I mean, her house was probably overflowing with floral arrangements and casseroles. Without a better idea in mind, however, I ended up joining in on a floral arrangement with some of our friends.

Afterward, a better idea came to mind. A gift basket always seems appreciated, but they are more often given for baby showers or birthdays. However, sympathy gift baskets are gaining popularity. They offer a mixture of flowers and food items different from those more traditionally given during such sad times.

Next time, I think I'll opt for a gift basket rather than a floral arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment