Friday, January 25, 2008

Not so strange after all!

My Angel Baby has an allergy to yellow dye. She can eat it, but it can't come in contact with her skin. When we figured out the allergy, we were told by the doctor that the yellow dye is in every color but blue.

When we started warning people against giving her anything with dyes, they used to act like we were crazy. I got reactions that included disbelief, replies that it was the strangest thing they'd ever heard, and questions of how we could be sure. Most people we'd talk to had never heard of someone being allergic to dyes.

It turns out it isn't as strange as it sounds, though. A discussion came up in my mom's group yesterday about sensitivities to dyes. Not only can people have allergies to them like my daughter's, but they can also affect their behavior.

I'm so relieved to know that my daughter is not so strange after all, and that there are other people going through what we go through on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment