Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kind of funny

It's kind of funny to think about, but I really look forward to running errands on the Saturdays when my husband isn't working. On those lucky days, like today, I get to do my grocery shopping and run my errands alone. Yes, it can actually be done.

Taking the kids grocery shopping has got to be one of the most stressful things I ever do. Between the constant begging and the desire to be a little too much help, they usually drive me completely nuts by the time I get done. I can't count the number of hairs I have wanted to pull out of my head over children wandering off, babies throwing tantrums, and all the complaints of "Are we done yet?!".

So on days like today, when I get a chance to go by myself, I take my sweet time. I stop and treat myself to a frappucino, or sometimes just a soft drink at a drive thru, and then I head to the store to do my shopping. When I have all my items, I get into the longest line and wait patiently behind the other customers, knowing full well that I could be leaving much faster if I'd chosen another line.

No matter how chaotic a grocery store can get, it always turns into my little retreat. A quick and easy getaway from the sibling rivalry and tantrums I get to listen to at home. But for some reason, I am always so glad to be back in the midst of the chaos at home once I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment