Friday, April 4, 2008

Progress

Recently, Little Man got the idea that the potty was evil. (Or at least I figure that is what was the matter.) Every time I even got near it with him, he'd scream and run the other direction. And underwear were just as bad.

Last night, he suddenly decided to tell me he had to potty. We went into the bathroom, where he sat on the potty for about 15 minutes. He didn't do anything, but it was a big deal just having him sit there.

This morning, I decided to take advantage of the interest. After we got back from taking the kids to school, I put him in underwear. He fought me tooth and nail over it, but my will was evidently stronger than his. I told him no watching The Happy Elf (which we watch 3-4 times a day) until his underwear were on. After pulling 3 pull-ups away from him, which he'd tried to put on one at a time whenever I turned my back, he finally gave in.

It only took about ten minutes for him to wet the first pair. Of course, he chose to wet them right as I walked out the door to take the dog out (potty training at the same time you are housebreaking a dog can be a pain!). I came in and put clean underwear on him, after making him sit on the potty for a few minutes. He wet the second pair about thirty minutes after the first pair. I sat him on the potty, where he sat for about thirty minutes, and then he put on his third pair of underwear. About twenty minutes later, he tinkled just a few drops in them. He ran to the potty, pulled his underwear off (which he decided to put in the hamper all by himself after he sat on the potty for a few minutes), and sat on the potty for about five minutes. He didn't do anything then, either, but he put on his clean underwear.

Of course, shortly after the fourth pair was on, the dog had to go out again. And, of course, as soon as I walked outside, Little Man yelled "Mommy, pee pee!" I told him to run to his potty, since the dog was going. As soon as the dog was done, I ran into the house, and Little Man was sitting on his potty. He had again only tinkled a few drops on his underwear, but there was pee in the potty! And, 45 minutes later, he's still dry in his fifth pair of underwear.

I don't care if he is on his fifth pair, just the fact that he's wearing them at all (and that he went a little into the potty) is enough progress to give me some hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment