Friday, June 20, 2008

I've come to the conclusion

I've come to the conclusion that the thing called sleep is actually a myth. I can't remember the last time I had a full night's sleep, and I haven't managed more than a couple of hours a night all week. My husband's work schedule was messed up this week, with two days that he had to be in at 2am. This meant that his sleep schedule, as well as mine, was given a major shift.

What his company doesn't realize is that the crazy schedules don't just affect their employees, it affects the whole family. After all, Daddy had to be in bed by 6:00, which meant that we had to have dinner about an hour earlier than usual, and then the kids had to be quiet until bedtime so that they didn't wake him up. Do you know how hard it is to keep three kids quiet that long, especially since one of them is only two years old?!

Not to mention the fact that Little Man has been sleeping in our room again. His schedule has been screwed up since the kids got out of school, and I had just been making progress getting him back on track when those two nights of Daddy's schedule change hit us. Instead of being able to take him into our room and laying down while he talked himself to sleep, as he's been doing many nights lately, I had to keep him in the livingroom until I got him to sleep (there was no way he was going to fall asleep in his own room. nope. not him.) and then carry him to his bedroom and put him in his bed. Not too much of a problem, except for the fact that he decided he wasn't going to give in until somewhere around midnight. By the time I carried him to his room, got his toys picked up in the livingroom, and turned off the lights, it was almost 12:30, only an hour until the alarm went off. Not wanting to wake my husband, I'd sleep on the couch until he got up for work, then climb into my bed (which would be shared with Little Man when he came into the room around 3am).

For two nights now, my husband has been back to his normal schedule. He adapted easily, and he's getting to sleep at a decent time without any problem. I, on the other hand, have a different story. I'm already an insomniac, and adding the change in schedule to the mix only added to the sleep difficulties. While my husband has been snoring away in bed, Little Man on a pallet on the floor next to him, I have been tossing and turning, finally giving up to soak in the tub and read a book or get on the computer and work on my school assignments.

One of these days, I might find out that sleep isn't so much of a myth. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment