Saturday, January 1, 2011

My first post of 2011

I have waited up all night to make sure that I did two things. First, I wanted to make sure that I started off the new year on the right foot with my blog, posting my first entry of 2011 soon after midnight. Second, I wanted to make sure that I logged onto Facebook and wished my nephew a very happy 21st birthday.

I remember ringing in the new year in 1990. Just after midnight, a firecracker was thrown at the storm door of the house we were living in. We'd often had one certain neighbor TP our house, and he always followed his act with a late night phone call to wake us up. We were certain the same boy was to blame for the firecracker, so when the phone rang we decided to let the answering machine pick up. Instead of what we were expecting, though, it turned out to be my oldest sister calling to wish us a happy new year and to announce that she was in labor. Later that day, we received the news that my nephew had made his arrival.

Each year as the clock strikes midnight, I think of that night and of my nephew. I can't believe it's been so long already.

Happy birthday to my nephew! And happy new year to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment