Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A New Garden


For a couple of years before we moved into our house, my husband and I talked about having a raised-bed garden.  We didn't have a good section of our old yard to turn into a garden, so a raised bed seemed like a good option.  The only problem was, the yard was too small.  When we moved into our new home, which came with a small garden plot already prepared, we knew we eventually wanted to replace the small garden with a larger raised garden.  The only problem was that we weren't sure whether we wanted it in the same location or if we wanted to move it further into our back yard, where we had a separate fenced in area that would be good for keeping the dog out of it.

We decided that the very back was too shaded to use for the garden, so we took the opportunity this year to turn our old garden plot into the raised bed we'd been planning.  This new garden is twice as long as the old one, and about 18 inches wider.  It gave me the perfect opportunity to plant a large array of veggies this year. I have also planted strawberries, tomatoes, and green peppers in hanging baskets off the back porch, as well as a separate container that I planted pumpkins in (so that the pumpkins won't overtake the garden - the plant will grow in the container and we'll direct it outside the container to allow the pumpkins to grow on the ground away from our garden).

I'm giving fresh herbs a try, as well.  I planted a planter a couple of weeks ago with seeds to start the herbs.  Due to heavy rains and some of the soil being washed away, I hadn't seen any sign of growth in that planter as of yesterday.  I went this morning and purchased some pots of the same herbs, planning on putting them together in the larger planter when I got home.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that the seeds I'd planted had finally started growing.  I'll be buying a new planter tomorrow for the pots I purchased.

Last year, squirrels were a major problem in the garden.  This year, I am prepared.  I read that planting garlic in the garden can help keep them away.  I've already got the garlic planted.  I also read that sprinkling cayenne pepper around the garden can help, but it has to be reapplied after rain.  I may have to give that a try if I see any squirrels before the garlic starts to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment