Monday, March 14, 2011

Planting a garden

With all the nice weather we've been having in recent weeks, we decided to get a head start on our garden for this year.  A couple weekends ago, I planted a few little starters that have been taken in and out of our house depending on the weather.  So far, we're seeing the beginnings of broccoli, okra, and green beans.  I also started a hanging basket with some strawberry seedlings that I picked up recently.  Yesterday, I picked up some seedlings for tomatoes and green peppers, which I will also be growing in hanging baskets this year.

We're going to make a few changes to our garden plot this year.  We've been using the existing plot that was already here when we moved into our home.  This year, we're going to take out a few overgrown bushes in the back yard (which we're debating pulling up and transferring further into our back yard.  We're using railroad ties to form the outer edges of a larger raised garden, which we'll fill in with plenty of soil.

We're hoping that this year's garden will be a bigger success than last year's, since the squirrels managed to get to everything we planted before we could actually eat any of it last year.  I read last year that planting garlic in your garden helps to keep squirrels and other animals out of the garden.  I figure it is worth a shot, so we're going to plant some garlic in our garden this year to see if it helps.

My plans for this year are to grow my own tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, broccoli, okra, beans, carrots, squash, garlic, and pumpkins (the pumpkins will be in their own plot so as not to overtake the rest of the garden).  I'm attempting a planter with herbs, too, in hopes to have some fresh herbs growing before too long.    If all goes well, I'm thinking of having a fall garden with lettuce and other greens that will handle the colder temps.

No comments:

Post a Comment