Saturday, April 28, 2012

A chance to pitch

We're spending our weekend at the ball fields once again.  Last night, Monster Man and Little Man both had games at the same time.  I didn't get much of a chance to enjoy Monster Man's game because I helped out with Little Man's team.  His coach was out of town, so we had a couple of extra parents who had coached there in previous seasons, as well as a coach from another division, taking turns to help coach within our schedules.  The coach from the other division was supposed to coach the majority of the game, as well as be the pitcher for the game, but his team had pictures scheduled for the same time that Little Man's game was scheduled to start.  I ended up on the field during that time, getting the chance to pitch to Little Man's team.

I don't think that I've had a chance to pitch to that division since my first season coaching two years ago, when I had to take over pitching on that field after Georgia Boy had taken a few too many line drives from one particular batter who had managed to hit him almost every time he went up to bat.  I was a little nervous for the first few pitches, afraid that I might accidentally hit one of the batters.  Their division is for children ages 5 to 7, and there are kids of such a variety of sizes on that field - little ones that barely look old enough to be playing to tall ones that look like they should be on the next division.  Thankfully, it only took a few pitches for me to get more comfortable, and the game went well.

I had taken this season off from coaching with the intention of being a parent on the bleachers and actually watching my kids play for a change.  I have already been missing be a part of the action on the field, so I was  thrilled to have the opportunity to help out with Little Man's team yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment