Tuesday, July 24, 2012

School shopping

It hit me yesterday that there were only 10 days until school starts, and that I hadn't even begun to look for this year's school supplies.  About 5 minutes after I made the realization, I had all three kids loaded into the car to get our shopping trip under way.

Georgia Boy and I had spent a small fortune on book bags last year for Angel Baby and Monster Man, checking out the stitching and hoping that they would hold up much better than the ones they'd had in the past that had fallen apart early in the school year.  We were more than a little miffed that the bags didn't even make it until the end of the first month before they started showing signs of wear and tear along the stitches.  Needless to say, Angel Baby needed a new backpack for this school year.  Monster Man didn't, since he is staying home this year, so that gave me an even bigger budget to buy Angel Baby a Jansport backpack (I'd had one in high school that lasted all 4 years because it was made better).  Little Man wanted a new lunch box and backpack, as well, and we found an inexpensive combo for him at Walmart that he loved.

We took advantage of the big sales at Staples, Walmart, and Target, buying just about everything we needed.  I plan on making a couple of other stops later this week to buy the last few items I need (things that I thought I already had plenty of and hadn't realized our supply was running low or was no longer existent after making donations to VBS programs this summer).  None of my kids need a lot in the way of clothing right now, so I let them each buy a new outfit for the first day of school (Monster Man got to buy a new shirt to wear at camp and a new pair of jeans) and Angel Baby and Little Man each got one extra shirt and new belts.

For the most part, we had a very successful shopping trip.  Backpacks are starting to be filled with a few necessary supplies and will be waiting in the hallway for the first day of school.  Nine days from now, I'll be picking up Monster Man from camp while Georgia Boy will be getting Angel Baby and Little Man home from their first day of school.  It's so hard to believe that the summer is almost over!

No comments:

Post a Comment