Friday, April 5, 2013

Neurologist Visits

I had to take both Monster Man and Little Man to the neurologist last month. I've mentioned previously that Monster Man had been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome about 3 years ago. After a rather disappointing visit with his old neurologist, I decided it was time to find a new one. When I knew he needed to be seen again, I called the new neurologist to make an appointment for him, and made an appointment for Little Man at the same time. On top of the migraines that Little Man has been suffering from for over 2 years now, he had also been having multiple tics for the past couple of years that made in known to us that he, like his older brother, has Tourette Syndrome, too. It was time to take him for the official diagnosis at the same time he was being seen for his migraines. In addition to the TS and migraines, I had another concern that I had needed to discuss with the neurologist. For some time now, Monster Man has had a problem where he would quit talking mid-sentence, spacing out and completely forgetting that he was even talking. I was told by several people in a TS group I am part of that it could be TS related, but that it sounded more like absence seizures (petite mal seizures). In recent months, it had been brought to my attention that Little Man was also having spells where he would 'space out' and seem like he wasn't quite there. Given the fact that Georgia Boy, his sister, and their mom all have epilepsy, it was a bit concerning to us. I mentioned this to the neurologist while we were at their appointment, and he scheduled both boys for EEGs the following week. After a long night of keeping them up until midnight and then waking them up at 5am (they were only allowed 5 hours of sleep prior to the testing so that they would be sleep deprived), Georgia Boy and I took them to have the EEGs performed. In our paperwork, we were told that the results would be ready through our physician in 7 to 10 business days, so we expected a long wait before finding out the results. Instead, the neurologist called us that afternoon with the results. Sure enough, both of the boys have been having absence seizures. The boys are now both adjusting to taking seizure medications, a transition that has been a little easier for Monster Man (who is used to taking medication for the TS; Little Man does not require medication for his TS at this time) than for Little Man. I think Little Man is finally adjusting, though, and we're already seeing a huge improvement in the amount of seizures we were previously seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment