Friday, August 8, 2014

A Wig For Sharon

Sometimes in our lives, there are special people that we want to help but don't always have the ability to do so.  Lately, there has been someone that has been heavily on my mind that I wanted to help but didn't know how, other than just through prayer.  This special person is my mother's best friend since childhood.

Mom's best friend, Sharon, was diagnosed with breast cancer this past June.  She is a wonderful lady that I had the pleasure of spending a few days with just prior to her diagnosis.  The time that I spent with Sharon, her husband, and my mom took place while we were waiting for her test results, a time that was understandably hard on her.  Even so, I never saw her display anything but a positive attitude.

Since I last saw Sharon, she's undergone surgery and is now going through chemo and radiation.  She is doing her best to stay positive, and I've desperately wanted to find a way to help her through this.  As she lives in a different state, it is hard for me to do much more than pray for her (and trust me, I have said many prayers for her during this journey).  Sometimes, though, it feels like prayer just isn't enough.  It feels like there should be something else that I should be able to do for her.

This afternoon, I found out just what I could do.  My mom mentioned that Sharon was seeing hair fall out in clumps for the first time, and that the reality has really set in as a result.  Her money is tight, and most of it is going to the medical bills that have been adding up rather quickly - co-pays for visits, her surgery, and all of her treatments.  She really wants a nice wig, something that can help put a smile on her face again, but it will be some time before she is able to afford even a cheap one on her own.

My mom and I have set up a GoFundMe fundraiser to help earn money for a wig and to help with Sharon's medical bills.  The link to that fundraiser is available near the top right corner of my blog.  Please consider contributing to help her if you can.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment